Wednesday 28 November 2012

A Winner - Finally!

Results haven't exactly been red hot of late so it was good to get a decent result again.
There were 98 players for the £50 game - an entry of £10 + £20 + £20 add on. I never took the add on as I got enough chips early on to not see the point.

I played unspectacular ABC solid poker, nothing particularly aggressive or too bluffy but things just ran well from start to finish.

The key factors were.

A - Not getting any nut-flush-open-ender-top-pair type of hands where you dust alot of chips when you miss. In fact I never really had any massively hard decisions to make all night.

B - Big hands holding up in All-in situations

C - Not getting sucked-out on.

D - Folding big hands if I thought I was beat - like Queens on an ace high board.

E - Getting a lot of playable cards and hitting flops

I never got my money in bad from start to finish - (apart from one hand at the final table where the short stack had 2bb and I called the All-in bet blind and my 2, 3 off suit beat his 9, 2 off suit!!).
However - I had quite a few sweet spots where I picked up some massive pots.

Kings on the button - UTG opens with over bet, I reraise and she Jams with A - 9 (!)

I called UTG raise with pocket 10,s, flop 10 - 9  - 9 guy with AK jams and I snap him off.

I again called UTG raiser on button with pocket 3,s Flop comes 10s - Js  - 3h. I call the C bet and turn comes Ah, I bet and he goes all in. I eventually call and he tables 2 pair with AJ, rivers a blank. 
Guy accuses me of a slow roll! -a set of 3,s on 10, J, Ace board is hardly the nuts...

I call raise with K - 10 and flop comes J - Q - A. I slow play and get three streets of value.....



On the final table I did my fair share of robbing as my chipstack size mean,t I was pretty comfortable for most of the time and the short stacks got wiped out fairly quickly. In the end, it was five in the morning and I was getting up for work at 7, so although I was substantial chip leader, I agreed to a 3 way chop to get it ended and cashed up for just under a grand. Best result of year so far and drags the pokerings back into a healthy profit. 

I only dropped below 10bb once all night and got doubled up shortly after with set v 2 pair.


It would be nice to summarise by saying that I played out of my skin and out played the rest of the field with some incredible poker, but I didn't really. I just got a decent run of cards and played pretty solid.
Easy game when fortune smiles :-)

2 comments: