Saturday 23 February 2013

Health warning for online grinders!

"The bad news is that what poker puts the human brain through is unsustainable. I was told that if I choose to play online poker as a full time career, I will likely die of a stroke before the age of 50. They said that the human brain simply does not have the capacity to put itself through 8+ hour days of mass multi-table online poker. They said that playing online poker to that degree was quite literally one of the very worst things you can do to your brain and body. They said it wasn’t quite as bad as being an NFL player or someone who works full time around organic solvents, but it wasn’t far off. It was on the doctor’s urging that I retire from full time online poker"

-Excerpts from blog posts by Dusty "leatherass"  Schmidt.

This is my brain on poker

This is my brain on poker part 2

2 comments:

  1. Interesting read. The thing I found out the hard way by playing too much poker was that I let myself go physically. I also did not participate in family stuff to nearly the extent I should have.

    I sometimes wonder about the younger people who make poker the focus of their lives. Pretty sad, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play occasionally online on Pokerstars, but I pretty much stopped playing seriously when I realised it was killing my enjoyment of the game. I take my hat off to guys like flushdraww who stick at it obsessively to improve their game. From what I,ve seen there's not that many players making decent money and very few earning anywhere near min wage hourly rate for the time put in..

    ReplyDelete