Tuesday 12 February 2013

Dream flop and the parting of the proverbial cheeks

About 10 years ago I was watching the WPT coverage with Vince Patten and Mike Sexton. I didn,t have a clue what was going on, but got completely hooked by the coverage of the poker.

The two of them would be sitting on 80,s style bar stools at the back with the poker table lit up in the middle of an arena somewhere exotic, 1000,s of dollars stacked up, sun glasses, gold bracelets, spotlights, hand percentages on display for folk like me.

Mike would whisper something like

"Hansens digging the hole"

Vince would chip in

 "he's laying the trap."

"he's covering it in branches"

"Will he fall in?"

"I think he's got him"

"he,s got him!"

"he has just nailed him to the floor!!"



Some guy would be exiting the bright lights of the tournament after running his two pair into a slow played set or whatever. I didn,t know the rules, but the dramatic coverage and commentary was infectious, and I started playing play money games online soon after to learn how to play.

Fast forward 10 years to the Mint in London. There are 10 players left, 6 prizes are paid, 3 guys with serious amounts of  chips - I,m one of them. I,m still a bit behind the two big stacks but only a fraction.
Most of the guys are playing absolutely rock solid so opportunity knocks for a few steals here and there. Unfortunately for me, I seem to keep mistiming some of the raises and I have to make a few laydowns, but the guys seem determined to make me feel better by showing me their aces or kings or whatever they jam with - fine with me!

The chip leader is I think French (maybe Italian but hey who needs the detail) he is also running like god he's also playing incredibly tight (checking down 2 pairs v a short stack!!). I,ve managed to avoid tangling with him too much so far.

Anyway,  skirmish 1 and I pick up pocket 5's and put a good raise in in early position - everyone folds as I had hoped - except for him.

I,m outta position and the flop is not good -  three pictures.
The post flop action is red hot
check, check,
turn card,
check, check,
river card
check, check.

I flip over 5,s he turns over 4's. Wow I,ve finally won  a pot against the certified luckbox. This is good. A few hands later and its a similar state of play only this time its a bit bigger.

Skirmish 2

I,m sitting around 350k, he's nearer 400k and blinds are like 10k/5k

I pick up pocket 8,s in early position and put a decent raise in, table instafolds - apart from my frenchman on the button..
At this stage I think I know his range Big Ace or possibly a Big Ace - I think even he would re-raise aces or kings.

Flop comes down 8c, 3c, 3h.

Not bad.

I,m first to act so I decide to start check. Lay the bait and see if I can get my man to bite. Even if he's flushing I know he won,t bet till he hits it.
Turn comes a 10 of clubs. I decide to put a smallish bet in of 40k to get a bit of value into the pot, and I get reraised up to 100k. This is beautiful, I,ve got Vince and Mike in the back of my head talking about digging holes, laying the branches over it - can I get this guy to put the lot in? I,m starting to work out how many chips I'll have after this hand - monster chip leader - cruise control to the money - I reckon he,s on A 10, and I,m pretty sure with the reraise they're both clubs.
So after running through the tormented, anguished hollywood routine I resignedly say "I,m all in" and push my chips into  the middle. 1 nanosecond later..

"CALL!"

Mon ami tables Pocket tens.
Bollocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment